About Us General Information

Applicants are required first to apply online

for visa at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html 

for OCI at https://ociservices.gov.in/,

for passport at https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html and

for Consular Services at http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/Consular_Services.html and submit print of their applications along with requisite documentation, photos, passport, fees etc at the designated Service Centre operated by M/s VFS Global. For detailed information please visit Website of VFS http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/. The High Commission of India in the UK has outsourced collection of applications and delivery of processed documents to M/s VFS Global with effect from 2nd March 2015.

2. The Open House has been discontinued with effect from 06/03/2019 till further notice. For updates please contact: 020-78369147.

3. For general enquiries, please send email to: inf.london@mea.gov.in Applicants are advised to mail details, as briefly and concise as possible indicating their name, contacts, subject matter and brief description of the issue.

4. For other queries pertaining to Passport, OCI, PIO, Visa and Consular services, applicants are advised to see the Q & As at "Common Telephone Queries" at the website of the High Commission and/or contact the Public Response Unit.

Public Response Unit, High Commission of India, London

E-mail: inf.london@mea.gov.in

Tel No.: 020-78369147 (Between 1000 to 1700 hrs on all working days)

Mobile Number for Emergency services is: 00 44 (0) 7768 765 035 and 07739363521

General information related to Passport/Surrender of Indian Passport

Indian Passport Services

Question - How to apply for Passport Renewal/New Passport/Lost and Damaged Passport?

The Indian Passport/Indian Passport Surrender service has been outsourced to VFS (UK) and the application will have to be deposited with one of its centres. For appointment and more information please check link

Phone Number: -   02037938629/02036959849

E-mail: -                  info.inuk@vfshelpline.com

You may also contact the HCI London Public Response Unit at 020-78369147 or email at 
inf.london@mea.gov.in or info.london@hcilondon.in

Question - What is Re-issue of passport on expiry of full validity passport?

Full validity passports have a life of ten years (five years in the case of minors). The expiry date is always mentioned in all passports. A passport holder can apply for reissue of his/her passport one year before expiry of the passport or after final expiry of the passport.

Question - Can one apply for Machine Readable Passport of normal 10-years validity as a replacement of 20-years validity passport or as a replacement of a hand written passport as this is causing difficulty in obtaining visa for many countries whose authorities are objecting to a 20-years validity passport or a hand written passport?

Yes. It is in the interest of the applicant to get a new 10-years Passport as the Government of India has dispensed with the issuance of 20-years Passport and hand written Passport in accordance with extant rules. Please follow the same procedure as is meant for re-issue of a passport on expiry of its validity. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has set a deadline of the 24th November 2015 for globally phasing out all non-Machine Readable Passports (MRPs). From 25th November 2015 onwards, foreign Governments may deny visa or entry to any person travelling with a non-Machine-Readable Passport. All handwritten passports with pasted photos earlier issued by Government of India are considered non-Machine-Readable Passports. All 20-years validity passports will also fall in this category. The Government of India started issuing Machine Readable Passports since 2001. All new Indian passports are ICAO-compliant Machine Readable Passports .Indian citizens residing in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and holding handwritten passports as well as 20-years passports with validity beyond the 24th November 2015, should, therefore, apply for re-issue of passports and obtain Machine Readable Passports well before the deadline in order to avoid any inconvenience in obtaining foreign visa or immigration problem.

Question - How can I check the status of my passport application?

Please send an email to the Public Response Team inf.london@mea.gov.in or info.london@hcilondon.in if the application was submitted to HCI London.

Question - If I send an email asking about the status of my application – what information do I need to first provide?

When sending an email to the Public Response Team – please ensure that you include details such as your full name, the centre you have applied through, your passport number, ARN number starting with 19- or GBRL number, date of birth. This will help us to identify your case more quickly. Please note that further details may be asked from you through correspondence.

Question - What are the normal processing times?

Processing times vary for different categories, for details visit link 

Question - What passport services are offered by the HCI London via Indian Visa & Consular Application Centre in UK?

The following five services are offered:

  • Re-issue/Renewal of passport on expiry of full validity passport or on exhaustion of pages or change of name/surname/signature or change/addition/deletion of name of spouse or change of address.
  • Re-issue of short validity passport on emergency/not having valid visa.
  • Issue of fresh passport in lieu of lost/stolen/damaged passport.
  • Issue of first-time passport to a new born child.

Question - What procedure is to be followed for issue of a first-time passport for a new born child in UK?

The Birth of the child is required to be registered with the HCI London as a prelude to applying an Indian Passport, for details visit link https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/docs/1579089550Consular%20Information%20(1).pdf. An application for passport can be submitted after obtaining the Birth Registration certificate from HCI London or its respective consulates as per the jurisdiction.

Question - Till what time Passport could be submitted for reissue before the date of expiry?

The passport can be submitted for re-issue up to one year before the date of expiry.

Question - Can i apply for additional Pages in my passport/apply for additional Booklet?

There is no facility to add more pages or avail an additional booklet. Applicants are required to apply for a new passport due to exhaustion of pages.

Question - Can my child (minor) travel on my Passport?

All minors are required to have a separate passport. Old practice of including a child’s name in the Passport of either of the parents has been discontinued.

Question - Is it necessary for the parents to also sign the application meant for issue of a new passport for a new born child?

Yes. Both the parents need to sign to the effect that the particulars of the new born child mentioned in the application are correct and parents are responsible for its correctness.

Question - What are the requirements regarding appending thumb impression of a new born child on the application form?

Yes. It is necessary. There is an earmarked space for the purpose. Left thumb impression for a male child and right thumb impression for a female child needs to be appended at this earmarked space.

Question - Can an applicant request for a change or amendment in any of the personal particulars in his/her passport at the time of re-issue of his/her passport?

Yes. Applicant, however, has to clearly mention at appropriate place that he/she is seeking an amendment in one or more personal particulars. It is relevant to mention that normally no amendments are permissible unless trustworthy documentary evidence is provided in support of the claimed change in status. Additionally, the High Commission and its respective Consulates may, in certain cases (such as a change in name) also like to know the purpose for seeking a change. For certain personal particulars, special documents are needed to show that the mandatory procedure has been followed. For details, please visit the relevant links.

Question - Can UK address be reflected in Indian passport?

Usually an UK address is not permitted on the Indian passport. However, in exceptional circumstances only when the applicant proves that he/she does not have any permanent address in India and additionally, he/she has Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK, an applicant is permitted to reflect his/her UK address in his/her Indian passport. If necessary, the High Commission & its respective Consulates might ask for an affidavit from the applicant about him/her not having a permanent address in India. For others who would like to reflect their UK address in addition to their permanent address in India, the service is available by way of an endorsement on the Indian passport as an observation.

Question - How to change my old photo/ incorporate my new photo to match my current appearance which has changed?

In this case, a fresh passport has to be issued to provide this service. The application form is the same for general passport application form.

Question - Is there just one application form for all Passport services?


Question – What if I need a re-issue of passport or any passport service in an emergency?

You may submit an application under Tatkal Service. Processing time for a tatkal application is 3-5 working days. Please note that tatkal application is not guaranteed as all applications are subject to checks and procedures.

Question - Which Passport services are covered under Tatkal Scheme?

Re-issue of Passport on expiry or up to one year before expiry (having a valid Visa), re-issue of Passport on exhaustion of pages and lost/stolen/damaged passports in respect of casual visitors to the UK subject to availability of the record of the current Passport in our database. Tatkal Service is rendered in emergent situations (family bereavement, medical emergency etc.) on production of supporting document (s), confirmed journey ticket’s copy and written request from the applicant explaining the emergency. Discretion rests with the High Commission and its respective Consulates. Applicants have to bring the proof of emergency along with other applicable documents. Processing time is 2-3 working days subject to production of proof of the emergency or if the Passport Officer is satisfied of the emergency situation during interview with the applicant.

Question - Should the name in Visa document/sticker or Residence Permit match with that in the Passport?

Yes. Otherwise, a short validity Passport would be issued in cases where there are minor differences in the name on the Passport and name on Visa/Residence Permit. Normal validity passport will be issued only after the applicant furnishes correct documents.

Question - Is it true that Passport would not be issued if there is a major difference in the name on the Passport and the name on Visa/Residence Permit?

Yes. If this is the case, then the applicant would be asked to rectify/clarify the anomaly. Any further service would be extended only after the rectification/clarification.

Question - Which documents are accepted as Proof of Identity/Nationality (if required)?

Any one or more of the following documents can be produced:
  (a) Copy of Indian Passport 
  (b) Damaged Passport in original 
  (c) Photo Identity Cards issued in India such as Driving License, Election ID Card, Ration Card or PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, 
  (d) Letter from employer certifying applicant's identity 
 (e) Letter of introduction from two Indian nationals based in the UK 
  (f) For students, a Certificate issued by the concerned educational/training institution; and
  (g) For short term visitors/tourists to the UK documents such as air tickets, boarding passes, itinerary and copy of Visa.

Question - Do photocopies of original documents need to be attested by the applicant?

Yes. All original documents must be accompanied by self-attested photocopies. The original documents should be presented for scrutiny at the time of submission of application or sent by post if the application is sent by post.

Question - What is validity of passport?

A new Passport is renewed when the old passport has completed its 10 year validity (for Adults and above 15 years) and 5 year validity (for Minors: under 15 years) from the date of issue or where a new booklet is necessitated on account of change in basic particulars like name, appearance, seeking amendment in date of birth etc. or when all the pages have been used.

Question - Can I retain my Indian passport for travel after acquiring a foreign nationality?

On acquiring a foreign nationality, the Indian passport should be surrendered at the nearest Indian Visa & Consular Application Centre. It will be then returned to the holder after cancellation. Use of Indian Passport for travel to India after acquiring any foreign nationality is an offence and invites penalty. After acquiring a foreign citizenship, you do not remain an Indian citizen and need Indian visa to visit India.

Question - What is a Short Validity Passport (SVP) and under what circumstances such a passport is re-issued?

An SVP is often issued directly by the High Commission of India or its respective Consulates directly, to meet exigencies especially when certain requirements for the issue of full validity passports have not been met by an applicant at the first instance. Usually, an SVP is issued for a period ranging from six months to two years. For instance, SVPs are often issued to applicants whose Indian nationality has been established beyond doubt but have no valid landing rights/stay permit and yet their circumstances strongly indicate the possibility of obtaining such landing rights/stay permit from the competent UK authorities. Besides facilitating such Indian nationals in obtaining landing rights/stay permits in UK, short validity passports are also issued to Indian nationals under certain other circumstances to facilitate their journey to India.

Question - How to avail the service of re-issue of Short Validity Passport (SVP) to Full Validity Passport (FVP)?

Please follow the same procedure as is meant for re-issue of a passport on expiry of its validity. The re-issue of such short validity passports is dependent upon the applicant having used the period of validity of their passport in meeting the conditions that could not be met at the time of issue of SVP. For example, an SVP issued in anticipation of a positive police verification report from India is upgradable to FVP on receipt of such report. Another example could be an SVP issued to facilitate grant of valid visa/stay rights by competent UK authorities is convertible to FVP when such rights are obtained by the applicant.

Question - Is it essential to have valid visa/stay rights in UK to apply for a replacement passport in lieu of a lost/stolen or damaged one?

This is an essential requirement depending upon circumstances of each individual case. An applicant is required to satisfactorily convince the passport officer that grant of an SVP would facilitate obtaining of landing permit/ stay rights in the UK.

Question - How much time would it take to get a replacement passport in lieu of a lost passport?

Issuing replacement passports in lieu of lost passports would take different time periods as situations vary widely. It is difficult to spell out a standard time norm for this service. Normally, cases in which the photocopy of the lost passport or relevant details of the lost passport are available and readily traceable in the database of the High Commission and its respective Consulates, the time taken to replace the passports could be 2-3 weeks. Other cases in which such details are unavailable or are not readily authenticated against a check of records in our database, more time would be required. In latter cases, often the personal particulars including the photograph of the applicant is sent to original passport issuing authority in India or abroad for authentication of the lost passport particulars. Such cases, needless to say would take more time as it requires verification by police. Applicants should accordingly calculate their own time norm before enquiring about the status of their pending applications.

Question - What if the local UK police are not registering the loss of the Indian passport?

A self-certified statement detailing the date and time and the name of Police Station visited which refused such registration may be furnished. The High Commission & its respective Consulates would accept such statement in lieu of police report.

Question - What procedure is to be followed and documents enclosed with the application to obtain a fresh passport in lieu of a damaged passport?

The procedure followed in this case by and large is the same as the one followed in case of procedure meant for issue of a replacement passport in lieu of a lost/stolen passport. The only difference being that in damaged passport cases, the applicants are not required to lodge police report.

Question - How can i apply for Emergency Travel Document/Voluntary Departure?

The application form is the same form meant for passport services. The procedure followed is the same as the one meant for issue of a new passport in lieu of lost/stolen/damaged passport, for details visit link 

Question - Is my passport fee refundable in case I choose to back out from my application?

Fee once paid is not refundable.

Surrender of Indian Passport Services

  • Can I retain my Indian passport for travel after acquiring a foreign nationality?

On acquiring a foreign nationality, the Indian passport should be surrendered at the nearest Indian Visa & Consular Application Centre.

  • How to apply for Surrender of Indian Passport?

The Surrender of Indian Passport service has been outsourced to VFS global services, for details visit link 
https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/NEW_Indian_Passport.html You can also call their helpline at 02037938629/02037884666

  • Can i use my Indian Passport to travel after naturalisation?

There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel. But the grace period is not applicable once the British/Foreign Passport is acquired, he/she should travel only on the British/Foreign passport once the same is obtained even if he/she is within the grace period of three months.

  • What happens if i use my Indian Passport to travel after the grace period/after acquisition of Foreign/British Passport or avails any service on the same?

After acquisition of foreign nationality, no Indian passport related service is granted. However, if the applicant fraudulently takes any passport related service (such as renewal of passport, change of name etc.) or uses the passport for travel after the grace period of three months from the date of naturalisation, he/she is liable to pay penalty.

  • How much is the penalty for misusing Indian Passport?

Please refer to the VFS website https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Surrender.htmlto know about the penalty/fees and retention charges related to surrender of Indian Passport.

  • Can i keep both my Indian and Foreign/British Nationality?

Answer. The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian Passport / acquiring Indian Passport / travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.

  • Can i change my name on Indian Passport after acquiring the Foreign Nationality?

After acquisition of foreign nationality, no Indian passport related service is granted. However, if the applicant fraudulently takes any passport related service ( such as renewal of passport, change of name etc.) or uses the passport for travel after the grace period of three months from the date of naturalisation, he/she is liable to pay penalty.

General information related to OCI

  • What is the procedure and eligibility to apply for an OCI?

Answer. The service of OCI is outsourced to VFS Global Services by HCI London, for information visit link 
https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html You can also call their helpline at 02037938629/02037884666. If still you have any query please call PRU on 02086295950 or drop an email at info.london@hcilondon.in / inf.london@mea.gov.in

  • What are the documents that one needs to submit for applying OCI?

Answer. The complete documentation checklist depending on different application basis can be viewed at the website in. https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html

  • How to check the OCI application status?

Answer. Please check your OCI status online https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury with the help of your passport number and online registration number.

  • What is the status of my OCI application as it has been past the normal processing time?

Answer. Please drop us an email at info.london@hcilondon.in / inf.london@mea,gov.in with the applicant’s full name, DOB, Passport number, OCI file acknowledgement number to know the status.

  • How can I apply for Nativity Certificate?

Answer. The Nativity certificate is to be applied directly in India at one’s place of birth. The application for the same can be obtained from in.vfsglobal.co.uk. The Nativity Certificate should be certified by the District Magistrate/District Collector of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification. The Nativity Certificate is to be applied in India with the concerned District Magistrate/District Collector where applicant, applicant’s either parent or either grandparent were born or resided.

  • What is the normal processing time? 

Answer.  The time taken for issue of OCI Card is minimum 4-6 weeks, delay beyond the specific time frame cannot be ruled out owing to certain technical reasons. All applicants are advised to book their travel plan only after obtaining the OCI. For spouse cases, it may take more time.

  • Is it mandatory to have a Life Long Visa Sticker (OCI) in the foreign Passport?

Answer. No, the life Long Visa Sticker process has been discontinued by Government of India. Applicants are required to carry Valid OCI Card with current foreign passport (endorsed on the OCI Booklet).

  • Can i still use my PIO card to travel to India?

Answer. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has mandated that international travel documents should be machine readable with effect from 1st October, 2018. Therefore, it is necessary upon PIO Card holders to obtain machine readable OCI Cards in lieu of handwritten valid PIO Cards. The Indian Immigration Authorities will continue to consider valid PIO Cards for entry/exit into/from India till September 30, 2019 along with foreign passport. However, PIO Card holders are advised to get their PIO Card converted to OCI Card. PIO Card holders can apply online for conversion at http://passport.gov.in/oci/ and submit print of application, passport, specified photos, documentation, fees etc at the VFS Centre (www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK ).The charges for conversion of PIO to OCI are £ 66/- plus VFS service charges.

  • Is it mandatory to transfer OCI to your latest passport whenever your passport gets renewed below the age of 20 or above the age of 50?

Answer. Re-issuance of OCI is mandatory every time passport is renewed up to the age of 20 years, and once after completing 50 years of age in view of frequent biological changes in facial features in this age group. Please view the full requirements for OCI Re-issue at the following link http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/pdf/GuidelinesOCI.pdf. It is highly advisable to have the OCI card transferred and linked to the active current passport at all times to avoid unforeseen Immigration delays and ease of travel. 

  • How to apply for Transfer of OCI from old to new passport/Change in nationality/lost or damage of OCI booklet or passport/Change of Personal Particulars and how long it will take? 

Answer. You are required to apply through OCI Miscellaneous services for all the above. For detailed application procedure visit link in.vfsglobal.co.uk, you can also call them at 02037938629/02037884666. It will take around 7- 10 working days.

  • What are the Benefits for an OCI card holder:

Answer. A multiple entry, multi-purpose life-long visa for visiting India. Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India. Parity with Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of economic, financial and educational fields, except in relation to acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties. 

  • What benefits an OCI Card holder is not entitled to?

Answer. An OCI card holder is not entitled to undertake any Journalistic, Filming of Documentary, Missionary, Mountaineering and Research work in India. They need prior approval from concerned Department/Ministry of the Government of India before undertaking such activities. The OCI Card holder is not entitled to vote. He/she cannot normally hold employment in the Government sector.

  • Can I apply OCI on spouse basis?

Answer Yes, you may qualify for an OCI based on your spouse if you have a registered marriage certificate & your spouse holds a valid Indian passport or OCI card, and your marriage has subsisted for at least 2 + years.

All applicants applying for OCI card under Foreign Spouse category are required to attend an interview at the High Commission of India, Aldwych WC2B 4NA along with his/her spouse before submitting application at VFS center. After applying for OCI card online under this category, applicant along with his/ her spouse have to visit High Commission of India, London between 11:00 hrs – 12:00hrs on any working day along with copy of application and all other supporting documents (both in original and copies) before submitting application at VFS centre. There is no need to take a prior appointment at High Commission of India for the Interview. Rest of the procedure regarding submission of application /fees at VFS center will remain same.

General information related to Visa

Electronic Visa

Question - How do I apply for an E-visa to India?

Please note Electronic Visa is not handled by the Indian Missions in abroad, please refer to website 
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html . For more information, please contact their helpdesk

Contact number 91-11-24300666 

Email id indiatvoa@gov.in 

Please note that HCI London has no role in the grant or refusal of E-Visa.

Regular Tourist Visa

Question - How to apply for a Regular Visa?

The Regular Visa service has been outsourced to VFS (UK) and the application will have to be deposited with one of its centres. For appointment and more information please check link

Phone Number: -   02037938629/02036959849

E-mail: -                    info.inuk@vfshelpline.com

You may also contact the HCI London Public Response Unit at 020-78369147 or email at 
inf.london@mea.gov.in or info.london@hcilondon.in for advice.

Question - When does the validity of the Visa begin?

The validity of the visa begins from the date it is issued and not from the date of your departure mentioned on the application form.

Question - What are the normal processing times?

Processing times vary from application to application and is at the sole discretion of the High Commission of India and its Consulates in the UK, and some applications may take longer than others to get processed. Hence, confirm your travel plans only after obtaining the appropriate visa. For more information refer to link 

Question - Can I send my application directly to the High Commission of India or its respective consulate in Birmingham or Edinburgh? Where does it go if I have done so?

No. The High Commission of India or its consulates doesn’t accept any application in post. All the Visa/Passport/Select Consular and Surrender of Indian services are outsourced to VFS. All Postal application (Visa Only) must be sent to our Hounslow Application Centre ONLY. Applications sent to any other office will be returned without processing.  

Question - Can I confirm all my travel bookings before getting the visa?

No bookings or travel arrangements should be confirmed until a visa decision has been made. Mission or VF Services will not be responsible for any loss of bookings made in anticipation of obtaining a Visa.

Question - How we will check the Visa status?

Please send an email to the Public Response Team inf.london@mea.gov.in or info.london@hcilondon.in if the application was submitted to HCI London.

Question - If I send an email asking about the status of my application – what information do I need to first provide?

When sending an email to the Public Response Team – please ensure that you include details such as your full name, the centre you have applied through, your passport number, date of birth. This will help us to identify your case more quickly. Please note that further details may be asked from you through correspondence. 

Question - If I am unable to provide the last 2 years utility bills as proof of being a UK resident – how do I continue with the process?

You can fill up a Non-UK Form through the website or at the visa centre. The minimum processing time for Non-UK Passport holders (resident in the UK for less than 2 years) is minimum 10-15 working days.

Question - If I have filled out a Form for a Minor – who has to sign the application?

Applications for Minors (under the age of 16) must be signed for by the Parent or Guardian otherwise they cannot be accepted. In case of postal applications – the documents will be returned to the applicant if the signatures are missing. The parents are required to provide a consent letter along with the copy of the passport for the Minor child’s application. 

Question - What are the Urgent Business Visas?

Urgent Business Visa applications are accepted from those applicants for who need to urgently travel to India on Business only. These applications are solely accepted through our India Visa Application Centre on 142-148, Goswell Road, London EC1V 7DU. Applications must be submitted from 8.30 AM and before 11.00 AM otherwise they cannot be accepted. UBV applications are submitted to the High Commission the same day and if the visa is granted – the passports can be collected the same evening from the visa centre. Urgent Business Visa Applications can also be submitted at out Birmingham and Edinburgh Applications centres as per the Jurisdiction. For more details visit link https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Urgent_Business.html

Question - Can I apply for a visa to India through the London High Commission if I am outside of the UK?

Applications through any of the missions within the United Kingdom should be done by applicants who are physically present in the country. 

Question - Can the application form be edited once it is completed or printed?

The online form cannot be edited once it has been printed. Please ensure that you verify all the information you enter before you finally submit the application and take a print out. IN case of an error, you would have to redo a new application form

Question - How do I retrieve the form if I have not completed it?

At the start and on each subsequent page of the online form there is a unique temporary ID that is generated at the top of the page. This number must be correctly noted for you to be able to retrieve your application before it is printed.

Question - Can I make a payment online?

Payments can be made for your application online however you do also have the facility to make a payment at the visa centre itself when you come to submit your documents.

Question - What does a V.A.F stamp mean?

If you have received your passport back with a stamp marked V.A.F. it does not mean that your visa has been refused. Visa Applied For (V.A.F) is stamped on your passport when the High Commission or it’s Consulate Generals require further processing on your application. 

Question - How we will book an appointment with the VFS?

Please refer to https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/how_to_apply.html or you can contact VFS on 0203 793 8629, 203 788 4666.

Question – Can I opt in for a walk-in service to submit an application for Visa?

Walk- in Service is available for applicants strictly between 8:30am – 10:30 AM ONLY. The service will be available on ‘First Come-First Serve Basis’. Limited seats available per day. Applicants should visit the below mentioned offices only between the above specified hours. Service will be offered on all working days (except for days declared as Consular Holidays on the website). Service available only at these application centres - Goswell Road, London & Hounslow, London

Question - Where can I get information on the addresses of the Visa Centres in the United Kingdom?

Information on the location and timings of all our visa centres can be found on  

Question - How do I withdraw my application and will I get a refund?

If you wish to withdraw your application you are required to visit the application centre and submit your withdrawal request. Furthermore, as per our refund policy all fees are not refundable / transferable even if you do not make or proceed with a visa application, and whether or not a visa is ultimately granted.

Emergency Visa

Question - How to apply Emergency Visa?

Procedure for submission of Emergency Visa application

  • Emergency Visa is issued in cases of genuine emergency like death or serious illness of immediate family member (blood relation with proof of relationship) subject to production of supporting documentary evidence from India like death certificate/Hospital certificate duly signed and stamped.

  • Applications for Emergency Visa may be filled online (www.indianvisaonline.gov.in ) and submitted at the High Commission along with the print out of the online visa application form, passport valid for a minimum of 180 days with at least two blank pages, 2 photographs (50mm x 50mm) and £168 (£110 Tourist visa fees + £3 Consular surcharge + £55 as Emergency Tourist visa fee) in cash.  Kindly note that we do not accept other modes of payment for this category of visa. 

    Please note that all applicants have to fill a Regular Tourist paper visa application form.

  • The application in case of minors (below 16 years) needs to be submitted along with documents in original and self-attested copy of the following: Marriage certificate, Birth certificate (full version), Consent form duly signed by both the parents and self-attested copies of their current passport. The application form may be signed by either of the parents or both. A custody order from the Court is required in required in respect of children, whose parents are legally separated.

  • Application for Emergency Visa (with supporting documents from India like Death Certificate/Hospital/Doctor's certificate) has to be submitted in person at the High Commission of India, Aldwych, London, from 1000 hrs to 1730 hours on any working day and from 1000 hours to 1700 hrs during Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

  • All conditions applicable to Tourist visa will be applicable as detailed in service provider’s website  https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Tourist.html

  • The decision of the High Commission in this matter shall be final.